Mayflower400 Illuminate NE Lincs
UK towns and cities that are historically associated with the Pilgrims hold Illuminate events every year. Inspired by the wonderful heritage of our home, in 2017, 2018 & 2019, along with the councils of Immingham and North East Lincolnshire, we held several bright and beautiful lantern parades.
"Curiosity does, no less than devotion, pilgrims make."
- Mayflower 400 Illuminate NE Lincs
- November 2017, 2018 & 2019
“Collaborate with our online community on specific projects”
What’s it all about?
In 1610, the Pilgrims who came to Immingham from Holland made the journey across the sea in a search for freedom. They faced chaos when they departed Holland, leaving women and children behind. The people of Immingham helped to reunite the families, and after ten years, the pilgrims left for their new lives in America.
In the Illuminate events held across the two years, talented local young people lit up the night with stunning lanterns that they had created with the help of supporting artists who developed the lantern ideas and delivered workshops. More people from the area joined in the celebration and carried lanterns, drawing crowds from all around.
Project outcomes and future
- 155 Children and Young People plus 16 adults helped to make the lanterns
- 10 artists worked alongside them
- A boat and hand were constructed along with a 5ft compass and 30 large lantern waves
- In Grimsby, there were 62 lantern participants, 38 in Cleethorpes, and 90 in Immingham
- 12 volunteer marshals took part alongside NELC volunteers and marshals
- 8 artists were engaged to add to the existing lanterns from 2017
- 120 Children and Young People created lanterns alongside 8 artists, adding to the lanterns from the previous year
- More than 140 people paraded with the lanterns
- An audience of over 400 attended
- 13 different artists’ workshops were held including iPad workshops with Jason Wilsher-Mills
- 436 people attended the workshops.
- 900 people participated in the parade.
Our Big Picture
Here are some other projects and events from Our Big Picture.
Our partners for this project were North East Lincolnshire Council (2017-2018) and Immingham Town Council (gained Arts Council England funding for 2019).