Our Big Picture Community Engagement Artist
Part Time post £20,000 pro rata – up to 25hrs per week.
Our Big Picture Ltd (OBP) is a social enterprise and we believe that everyone has the right to art in their lives.
Through artists, we work inclusively with our communities to enable everyone to take part in, experience, and enjoy art at its best, resulting in the collective exploration, learning, sharing, and shaping of our town and our unique culture.
OBP work with everybody, specifically, children, young people, and families, and their wider communities.
A partnership with Our Big Picture Ltd and NE Lincolnshire council has seen successful funding by Arts Council England for a third year to deliver contemporary arts programme through physical and blended engagement on Grimsby’s Top Town Market. This year’s programme includes: –
- A yearlong artist in residence with artist Anna Bean – ‘Monkey, Pig & Pie’, which uses the communities’ resource of memory and knowledge of the ‘heritage of the high street’ as a rich source of inspiration for the residency through artistic interventions. The Imaginarium is a Pop Up maker’s shop that extends the residency and supports young people looking to developing their own practice. It aims to engage and nurture young creatives 8yrs to 29yrs to allow them to understand the transformative effect of art; the ability to make something with value from ideas and effort.
- Exhibitions/installations by locally and nationally based artists.
- Sessional drop-ins (under COVID restrictions), art clubs and arts award
- Performance space for music.
- Markets and specialist fairs including a Teenage Market.
This unique space has become a focal point to an original arts programme that focuses on ‘Visual Arts and Making’ and is an Arts Award centre.
Other OBP projects include – a Neurodiversity artist’s commission, Art in the Minster, public realm engagement and artwork commissions
We are looking for an exceptional creative person who is passionate about community arts engagement and works within a social or participatory or community practice to shape and create experiences where nobody is excluded.
You will work on the Art in the Market project; a proven community engagement programme and we are looking for someone who is excited about taking on the next phase. Although some of the programme is defined there is lots of opportunities to put your own stamp on the project and test new ways of working supported by the Creative Director, the OBP team and directors.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities and are committed to creating a diverse team that reflects our communities. We know it’s different and that we aren’t back to ‘normal’ and are open to flexible working to make this happen!
Employment: Part full time contract starting May/June 2021
Application closing date: 12 noon Friday 14th May 2021
Location: Grimsby Top Town Market, NE Lincolnshire
Salary: Part time, one-year fixed term post up to 25 hours per week with a salary of £20,000 pro rata. Working a mix of weekdays and some Saturday’s.
Artform: Visual Arts
Contact: Paula Denton BA (Hons), Managing and Creative Director email@example.com
- Be a creative individual who has an ability to inspire creativity and curiosity about the arts in others
- Experience of nurturing, liaising and working with children and young people, families, schools and communities and developing and delivering visual arts engagement and participation activities • Relevant qualification to degree level
- Have some experience of online and offline engagement or collaborations
- Good general PC/online skills.
- Arts Award trained to the minimum of Bronze level and/or prepared to undertake further training
- Good communicator, self-motivated and highly organised • Have an understanding of required evaluation and keep good records • Have a understanding of ACE Quality Principles
- DBS checked or prepared to undertake this
- Reporting to Creative and Managing Director and work as part of a creative team
- Responsible for developing, coordinating and delivery Art in the Market • Support artists in residence for a successful outcome
- Working some Saturdays (term time) and weekdays – The Market is open Tuesday, Thursday, Fridays and Saturday
- Review and implement safeguarding and child protection procedures
- Responsible in managing support/mentor artists
- Liaising with communities and families building on and forming new relationships and partnerships
- Review and implement evaluation for reporting purposes
- Assist in keeping social media and website up to date
There will be regular meetings at OBP studio POD on Grimsby Top Town Market and working from home. We are currently working within Government Covid guidelines and risk assessments with our partners.
For an informal discussion about this post please contact Paula Denton, Managing and Creative Director, Our Big Picture Ltd 07793 114 180 and to apply please send CV with examples of practice to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 12:00 noon Friday 14th May 2021